View Single Post
Old September 27, 2005, 01:40 PM   #37
sreising

Yeah...so...I'll get on this one too...

For what it's worth, I don't particularly like the stylization of the Gracies work. I tend to like more traditional formats. But that's just a little lady's opinion.

Also, to me, it's not jsut the type of art that one "learns", I whole-heartedly believe the "best" style to use is individualized to the body type. What may be deadly to use for one, may be a here-let-me-stub-your-toe-for-you for another.

I have to disagree that Aikido is useless in the "field". Not the various defensive actions, but the fluidity of the form makes for better ingraination of balance and control. Believe me, I was a semi-professional dancer for over 20 years (yes without the pole get your mind out of the ditch) and I can distinctly say that I personally trained plenty of "persons" involved in other art forms, but did not have to work as hard with TC, TKD, and Aikido.

I also agree that the USMC's LINES is a great start. it's a great combo of basic martial artforms, hand-to-hand, and S.D. But, don't go looking for the average day Joe to train you (even if they say the "know" it). However, if it is of interest, it's pretty easy to find a current or former belted Marine to show you a few "tricks".

All in all, I believe what is best is what each individual person feels comfortable with, both mind and body. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it...as the old saying goes.

Shan

Page generated in 0.02716 seconds with 8 queries