Thread: New Savage 220
View Single Post
Old November 11, 2012, 11:32 AM   #2
redrick

I tried 6 different mount and ring combinations to get the best eye relief and height for mounting a 2-7x33 scope. It's shorter lenght makes finding the right combination of mounting space, eye relief and low to the barrel height a challenge for this shotgun. If I would have went with a 3-9x40 it would have been easier because it has a longer mounting area. But I already had a Leupold VXII 2-7x33 laying around and really didn't need the extra magnification of a 3-9 scope.

Here's what I tried:

Burris 2 Piece Tactical Base ( Lowest )
Burris Low Zee Rings ( Lowest )
Warne Maxima Low Rings
Weaver 1 Piece Multi Slot Base ( This gives you the most adjustment for mounting and eye relief. It raises the scope a little higher than the Burris Tactical Base).
EGW 1 Piece Base
Talley Low 2 Piece Mount ( It will not work at all on a Savage 110 using a short scope).
DNZ Game Reaper 18200OS Medium Mount ( IMO the nicest mount and would use it if mounting a scope with a 40 mm obj. ).

I went with the Burris 2 Piece Base and Burris Low Zee Rings. The scope is .268 off the barrel and no more adjustment rearward for eye relief if needed ( the eye relief fits me ).

I lapped the rings last night and bore sighted it this morning, now to sight it in. Shotgun season comes in Saturday.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Savage 220 Scope mount 003.JPG (138.1 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Savage 220 Scope mount 004.JPG (142.4 KB, 30 views)

Last edited by redrick; November 11, 2012 at 11:38 AM.

Page generated in 0.02441 seconds with 9 queries