View Single Post
Old August 3, 2000, 08:10 PM   #6
PJR

I've never bought the "too hard to enforce the rule" business. I think it was whining from shooters who wanted to buff up their scores and who would wet themselves if they had actually to fire at a live bird. It also helps those who bend themselves to fit their gun instead of having the gun fitted to them.

That said, rules are rules. My experience is that on some stations a mounted gun is an advantage. High incomers or springing teal come to mind. On other stations, like rabbits, seeing the target early is more important and a pre-mounted gun is a hindrance.

Shooting five-stand favors an unmounted gun because you usually don't know where the bird is coming from and you have to look around to see it. Can't manage that if a gun is at your shoulder.

One of the best sporting afternoons I had was shooting a walk-up course in the U.K. You walked down a path with the traps set in various directions. The trapper followed you and pulled targets at his discretion. An unmounted gun was the only way to go.

International Skeet is a very humbling way to spend an afternoon. Very low gun, faster birds, doubles at the mid stations and the call delay all make for a challenge.

I'd put my vote into returning sporting to a low gun game. International Skeet and FITSAC seem to manage and I'd hate to think the Europeans are smarter than us.

Page generated in 0.02411 seconds with 8 queries