Thread: New to forum
View Single Post
Old December 23, 2010, 12:42 PM   #5
BigJimP

Welcome .....

Browning - Winchester are both owned by FN these days. The Winchester SX 3's are very similar / to the Browning silver series ( activ valve systems, etc).

I like the inertia systems - they shoot cleanly / but unless you buy the versions with the "comfort tech" recoil supression system in them ( they have chevrons that compress in the synthetic stocks ) then it'll give you about 25% more recoil than a typical gas operated semi-auto shotgun.

As long as you stay with Browning, Winchester, Beretta and Benelli shotguns - you won't find a bad gun in the mix. They're different - they "Fit" differently --- have different stock dimensions - different drop at comb, drop at heel, lenght of pull, etc ...so you have to decide what best suits you.

For a good all around gun - some clays, some hunting, etc - personally I like a semi-auto shotgun with a 30" barrel. The longer barrel gives me a longer sight plane - and smooths out my swing on follow thru / especially on the lighter guns - like some of the Benelli's. If you think 30" is too long / or it doesn't feel right - then go with the 28" barrel. In most issues a gun chambered in 3" is plenty / gives you plenty of options for shells. Some guns are chambered in 3 1/2" - and marketed to the waterfowlers - so you can shoot super magnums ....but I've never seen the need for a 3 1/2" gun.

For a first shotgun - I would recommend a gun that comes with some adjustability - like shims between the receiver and the stock - so you can adjust the angle of the comb a little. Beretta, Benelli - and some of the Brownings have shims / but a lot of models don't ... If you're looking at any used guns - make sure they have changeable screw in chokes. Some guns made prior to 1980 or so / will not have changeable chokes.

and shoot as many guns as you can before you decide ... hang out at a gun club / ask about what guys are shooting - and why ...and would they buy it again. You'll probably see some trends ... on the "budget end" and on the "higher end" ...and it'll help ...

Page generated in 0.07207 seconds with 8 queries