View Single Post
Old May 7, 2015, 07:50 PM   #1
ohiocollectables

Need info on a prewar S&W 38 pistol

I'm looking for info for a Smith & Wesson I have! I'm pretty sure that it's the prewar Model 1899/10 in a 38 caliber? I'll give you all of the info that I can find on the pistol and maybe you can fill me in about exactly what I might have? Top of Barrel reads "-D Mass USA Pat'd PT.14.09.DEC.2914" Left side of barrel "Smith & Wesson" Right side of barrel reads "REGULATION POLICE 38 S&W CTG" Number on butt plate is "155027" But inside the side plate it has "36894" I have had the gun completely apart, cleaned and there are no other numbers, letters or markings other than the S&W symbol on the left side just under the tang to open the cylinder out! I have been threw it with a jewelers loop thoroughly! I had several old gun books around here INCLUDING the S&W book, but I guess they walked off! I have been shooting and collecting guns for about 50yrs now, but this is one of those that I can't find much on? Here are the gun details....it has the original black plastic grips, is only a 5-shot (38 Cal) and yeas I have shot it and it works and shoots great! The confusing thing is that the barrel is only 2-5/8 inches long, from the back of the barrel to the front and yes, I measured it with good calipers! But I guess that it's the 2-1/2 inch model which I have seen where it said that S&W only did those on special orders or request, where all I have seen is the 2 and 4 inch I know that most people call them the (M&P Models) but this has it rolled into the right side as (REGULATION POLICE) So can anyone tell me more about the gun I have and why someone would special request the 2-5/8 / 2-1/2 inch barrels instead of the 2 inch or the 4 inch barrel

Page generated in 0.02556 seconds with 8 queries