View Single Post
Old April 9, 2011, 01:12 AM   #2
r_magill

What has helped me remain calm in stressful situations is to run scenarios through my head long before I need them and when I am perfectly calm. This lets me make rational decisions about what to do when/how while making sure my actions will be legally justifiable, appropriate and safe. Also, I run these scenarios in great detail (not just that I will draw and move, but how I will draw and where I am moving to, etc...) until the threat is handcuffed.

Also, if I am going to a situation that might be dangerous (I am a cop my previous jobs were all in the security field), I begin running through scenarios based upon the location and call type so I am prepared when I arrive. This has helped me tremendously because I have a plan. When things start to get out of control, chances are I have thought out this scenario before, I dust of the plan and put it to use. This gives the appearance of having a level head.

Because you know you can overreact, you are aware of it. Try to remember this when you are in stressful situations and calm yourself down. One technique, which has a variety of names, is to control your breathing. Breath in for four seconds, hold it for four seconds, release it for four seconds, hold for four seconds, repeat as needed (if you have larger/smaller lungs, you can increase/decrease the seconds as needed). This will slow down your breathing and help reduce the effects of adrenaline, letting you think logically through the situation. Two books I recommend that address this are On Killing and On Combat.

Also, as you suggested, if you can find some good force on force training in your area, it is very useful. FoF training is great for preparing lethal force situations and thinking through what you need to do. If you cannot find FoF training you can attend, the other thing you can do is imagine you are in those situations when you are at the range. As much as you can safely do so within the range rules/safety constraints, try running through some scenarios on paper targets. If you put yourself into the mentality of being in the scenario, then force yourself to calm down and think through it, you will begin training yourself to think instead of just react. I find this works best if someone else can set up the targets for you so you do not know what to expect. I cannot overemphasize to be extremely safety conscience while doing this, though.

I hope this helps, YMMV.

Page generated in 0.02461 seconds with 8 queries