View Single Post
Old October 6, 2009, 04:01 PM   #1958
laytonj1

Quote:
I'm hoping to determine the approximate age and value of this S&W HE .32 w/ 4" round barrel, chromed, antler (?) grips, in very good condition, SN: 38xxx. Thanks again, my books aren't giving me the date of manufacture.

Quote:
38XXX would make it a 1st Change. Serial numbers ran from 19426 in 1904 to 51126 in 1906. The book list $385 in excellent and $700 "ANIB" but those are 3 year old values.

Jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
My wife, who is a nurse, asked me to obtain a value for this S&W HE .32 pistol which belongs to an older widowed woman she does home health care for. The widow woman wants to sale this pistol that she has had for over fifty years and I'm trying to help her out. I posted this pistol on a local web site to sell it for her and received a response to the ad that the serial number 38xxx is a second change, bla, bla, bla, and its value is $200 etc. Meanwhile, out of curiosity my father-in-law removed the antler grips and an inscription read (SW 1902 $5) Can someone help me clarify this, I just want to get a fair value for the woman.
His response would have been correct if it was a .38 S&W caliber. But, in 32 S&W Long caliber and a serial number of 38XXX it is a .32 Hand Ejector Model of 1903 - 1st Change, made from 1904 to 1906.
This information is taken from the Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson.
The inscription is something somebody added later.
Your finish is nickel and appears to be original although the grips aren't. The only value I can offer is what is in the book:
Good = $275
VG = $315
Excellent = $385 and $700 for "as new in box" which yours is not.

The problem with really old guns is their appeal is pretty much limited to collecters so it's a smaller market.

Jim

Page generated in 0.02726 seconds with 8 queries