View Single Post
Old May 7, 2002, 07:24 PM   #72
uglymofo

Griz,

Thanks for the thought. That was a great idea. Unfortunately, that isn't it. The tube is smooth and straight on the outside, and looks that way on the inside, too. I'll be damned if I can see anything wrong with that brass tube, but it sure is finicky. As further 'proof' that this tube is completely unpredictable, the primers don't jam at the same place each time, except for the last one or two in the tube. Other times, it jams whenever--the weighted rod is good for measuring how many primers are left when the tube jams, and it seems to be random.

But I cured the primer tube jamming problem today by yanking the brass Hornady tube and replacing it with the brass Dillon tube. It's much heavier and thicker (yet the inside and outside diameters at the mouth where the primer drops, fits the Hornady system). I don't see how the heavier weight or thickness of the brass tube changes anything; the results are clear though. I've been testing the priming system in this configuration refilling with groups of 5 primers, and have yet to jam the system after loading 150 rounds. That's the best non-stop performance out of the priming system yet - the priming system has not failed for 150 consecutive rounds, though it has been emptied and refilled 30 times. voodoo. Obviously, something isn't uniform inside the Hornady tube.

I also cured the primer punch lock nut's tendency to loosen. I installed a 1/4-28 nut and external lock washer in place of the OEM knurled nut. I cranked it pretty tight with a box wrench, and at last check, all seems tight.

Page generated in 0.03156 seconds with 8 queries