View Single Post
Old December 6, 2010, 01:59 AM   #13
44 AMP
Staff

Back in the days when we did it, good milsurps (mausers, springfields, even arisakas) were as common as, and nearly as cheap as dirt.

Sporterizing a milsurp was cheaper than buying a new REMCHESTER. And you got a better rifle, when it was done right. I've owned dozens, and done a few myself.

SMLEs were at the bottom of the list, and none of the Russian guns were available on the market. The Mosin Nagant was a rare collector's piece in those days. Today they are cheap milsurps. In time, that will change, again.

HiBC is entirely correct, it was sporterizing that helped build several industries, and without it, the guns likely would have gone for scrap.

Today, I wouldn't touch a GI condition milsurp, except maybe to restore it. The Mosins don't lend themselves to good sporters like the Mausers did, anyway.

If you get a rifle that was sporterised badly, go ahead and do whatever you like. If it was done right, all you need do is shoot it and enjoy it!

I would recommend leaving any GI issue condition guns alone these days. The Mausers, Springfields, Krags, Arisakas, etc are collectors items now, and eventually the Russian guns will be, too.

Page generated in 0.03525 seconds with 8 queries