View Single Post
Old May 30, 2006, 08:37 PM   #13
Yuriens

Quote:
I would speculate that if you don't have a rigid press or you don't have every case lubricated identically, those factors will add variation as well, but I haven't done any experiments to validate that.
Nick,

The non-rigid press is a real issue. Having used a Turret press for bottle neck rifle case sizing it can be a real pain getting it to size consistently. For my accuracy critical rifle reloading I use the full D ring Rockchucker for consistency in full length sizing. I also use the Stoney Point headspace gauge to set my FL size to bump the shoulder back only .002" from my fired cases out of the specific rifles chamber. In the turret it can be off either way by 6 thousandths.

I always use my Stoney Point gauges for reloading. A buddy had a problem where his full length resized 30-06 reloads would occasionally fail to fire in his ruger. Certain reloads would fail to fire multiple times. I threw one in my remington and touched it off one day. It fired and produced partial case head separation. Taking his FL sized reloads home and micing them against fired brass from his chamber showed a major difference in headspace of the fired vs. unfired brass (some 20 thousandths if i recall). The Ruger's firing pin was too short to set off his reloads as they were so short they could move far enough forward in his chamber to absorb the impact without detonating. He had been adjusting his die by turning it down to contact an elevated ram on the press and then a quarter turn farther, per manufacturer instructions (Lee die). Now he has a set of stoney point gauges and mics everything too.

FWIW,

Mike

Page generated in 0.02467 seconds with 8 queries