View Single Post
Old December 15, 2001, 03:18 PM   #16
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

I'd add IC and Modified tubes, that XF can handle the long range stuff. BTW, patterns from my Hastings Full and XF are nigh identical with the same load at 35 yards. Go figure...

If turkey hunting is not foreseen, you might be able to swap that XF for another tube, done that a coupla times, tho how I ended up with two 20 ga Modified and two Skeet( all Remchokes) tubes is a mystery to me.

Re extended tubes....

They add weight at the muzzle end, and whether that's good or bad is your call. On a short turkey style (or "Serious") bbl, not as bad as on a 32" custom clays gun.Ported chokes do not have even the tenous claim that ported bbls do for reducing kick, the gun's already moving by the time the choke has the charge in it. They do provide a handy place to anchor your Swiss Army Knife's can opener when you use it like a wrench to tighten or loosen the tube, but that's a minor advantage.

And the bright colored ones can serve as a distraction.

In your shoes, I'd go with the Remchokes for now. Instead of using those Brileys(Which seem to be VERY good), use the price of one tube to get a decent smith to do the forcing cone. This'll make a bigger difference than a Gucci choke tube.

But for now,just take that 870 out and shoot it, with the XF tube. It'll teach you to hold closer, and when you bust a bird, it vaporises. Good for morale(G)....

Page generated in 0.02250 seconds with 8 queries