View Single Post
Old October 16, 2008, 09:46 PM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

There is one more exception

One not usually mentioned. If you are inheriting a firearm (bequest) from a location in another state, it can be sent directly to you (again, if no state law prohibits it). I'm not sure if this section covers handguns as well as long guns, but at one time it was allowed. Research of current laws is recommended. I also understand that to qualify under this exception, the bequest must be mentioned in the will specifically. (again, not a lawyer, so check carefully).

My father died in 2003, and left me half his belongings, which included some guns. However they were not specifically mentioned, so to avoid any potential problems, I had three handguns shipped FFL to FFL (and paid $80 for the FFL in New York to do it!) Two rifles I carried back with me checked baggage on the plane. Even though it costs some money, shipping FFL to FFL is the best way to do it, as it avoids any possibility of violating the regs, both Fed and state. That's what you pay them for.

Page generated in 0.02504 seconds with 8 queries