View Single Post
Old December 1, 2007, 02:37 AM   #4
BillCA

Oh, at first I thought you said 7.62 x 39...

The speedy little 7.62x25 Tokarev pistol cartridge is a hotrod. It will penetrate a kevlar helmet at 50m according to some sources, but will certainly penetrate it at 25m.

Threat level III-A will stop up to .44 Magnum semi-jacketed HP at 1400 fps or a 9mm at 1400fps.

Level III-A is the "best" of the soft body armor ratings. To get a higher protection you have to go with externally worn "hard" body armor (i.e. SWAT style vests).

Level III body armor relies on ballistic "inserts" or trauma-plates over the front and back. Level III will stop up to six rounds of .308 NATO (7.62x51) @2750 fps using 1/4" Ballistic steel or 1/2" Ceramic trauma plates.

Level IV armor is the highest rating. Using Ceramic or steel plates it will stop one round of .30-06 AP ammo @2,850 fps using a 3/4" Ceramic or 1/2" Ballistic Steel plate.

From what I gather on the net, a level III-A vest will not adequately stop a 7.62 Tokarev round and the use of hard inserts is recommended.

Note that the vest may actually prevent penetration but the deformation depth may be too deep to qualify the vest (i.e. too much blunt trauma behind the impact point).

Clear as mud?

Page generated in 0.02823 seconds with 8 queries