View Single Post
Old August 8, 2012, 02:44 PM   #6
oneounceload

It always amazes me to see folks on these forums who are the size of Jim or myself and they are putting youth sized stocks on shotguns.

Slugo, you visit SGW enough to know Rollin and all of the points he mentions about fit. LOP is just one factor. I can comfortably shoot shotguns with LOPs ranging from 14.25 to 15.5 - it all depends on the rest of the factors he mentions. Drop at heel, drop at comb, pitch, toe in or out, cast on, off or neutral, English, POW or full curve pistol grip, thickness of the comb, and on and on.

While many folks can try and somewhat make themselves fit to a gun, it makes more sense to make the gun fit you.

A Remington 1100 with a 14.25" LOP fit me just fine with its relaxed pistol grip and the grips relationship to the trigger, yet a gun writer's custom Perazzi 28 gauge with a 15.25", tight curving pistol grip also came up without a hitch - and seemed to do for everyone who tried it - from 5'4 to 6'4.

An easy way to tell if a gun fits (as well as how well it patterns) is to take it shooting clays - if you smoke every target, then that gun fits you and patterns very well!

Page generated in 0.03383 seconds with 8 queries