View Single Post
Old July 8, 2010, 12:26 PM   #13
SmokyBaer

JJ381,

I've been into 1911s for almost 3 decades and can honestly say I didn't really understand what was going on until I started building them. By far, my third one is the best BUT it is still not even close to matching the tolerances of my Les Baer or Wilson. No where as expensive either! $900 will get you a REAL nice quality home built can dancer that has everything you want and easily give 2" groups @ 20 yards.

Using your EZ-boy/TV time to measure, file, and polish is a great hobby and serves you in the end with a quality piece of satisfaction. Typical statement of getting out what you put in applies on a 1911 build, BIGTIME. I tried to cheap out on my second one using an Essex frame and ran into some ramp issues. Not all are created equal. ALWAYS measure a dozen times or more!!

Read a lot on the barrel lockup, link and frame bridge fitting. Makes all the difference in the world on how it shoots in the end. Reason I say that is the Kart barrel I installed measures lockup for the top of the barrel by taking metal off the lug area. Most other barrels use a longer link to tighten upward on lockup. Total different philosophies that impact your point of aim.

Like you, JJ, I didn't want to jump into trigger sear angles and chose to go with Cylinder & Slide for the whole group. Think it was $125 for the 4.5# tactical and I have not regretted that decision on any of the three pistols.

Sorry for the long post. Just want you to enjoy the project if you decide to go with it. Just remember you wont stop with just one.

Page generated in 0.03373 seconds with 8 queries