View Single Post
Old January 14, 2010, 05:56 PM   #81
azredhawk44

Trooper and Wagonman, common has nothing to do with it.

"Common usage" is a convenient argument used by anti-gunners whenever they want to ban [insert item here]. Silencers, evil black rifles, "sniper" rifles, SBR/SBS, and machine guns. Oh, and concealed carry.

"Common usage" is then determined not by what is legitimately permissible, but by what is made laborious and difficult to obtain.

This is an obvious ploy to make firearms carry obsolete through harassment.

A licensing structure existed.

The officer was unable to verify the license since he didn't have access to a system to do so.

Does the officer have immediate beat-access to a system to verify the authenticity of those little slips of paper in elevators indicating when they were last inspected, too? Those could be forged pretty easily, you know.

The default response in such a situation in a governmental system consisting of rights to be honored until proof of a misdeed, is to grant reasonable belief to such an issued document.

After all... I don't have a means to immediately verify the authenticity of your badges. Perhaps I should just take your guns and badges away?

How is the argument any different in that light? Why is your credential beyond reproach (you ARE just a person, after all) and mine is suspect just because you see a gun on my hip? After all, I see a gun on YOUR hip, too.

Page generated in 0.02190 seconds with 8 queries