View Single Post
Old January 27, 2006, 10:20 AM   #18
TooTall

I shoot in remote spots of the Mojave Desert. There are tall hills (more like small mountains) that make excellent back-stops, and many of the places that I use will afford 1,000+ yard shooting distances.

Since the back-stop hill affords safety, I've set up several moving target "systems". One is a pulley system, with one side placed at a high point so that the target will glide across the shooting area. By attaching a rope to the gliding target pulley, it can be returned to the high point for another down-hill ride. It's great for handguns and rifles! The actual target needs to be attached to some wood, so that it hangs enough below the target pulley (you don't want to shoot that pulley!).

How about an adrenaline-pumping "Hogan's Alley"?
I set up several starting points with certain distances to the actual shooting points. The shooter will run from starting point "A" to shooting point "A", fire at the target(s), then move to starting point "B". Another run, to shooting point "B", engage the target(s), then move on to starting point "C"....and repeat the run and engagement of the target(s).

If you set up this type of course, do it WISELY, with safety the major concern. You may want to run without loaded firearms, but have them at the shooting points, ready to go. Depending upon your creativity, you can set up multiple targets, use wood to simulate structures, and even set up pop-up targets with "shoot/no-shoot" scenarios.

For the lazy shooters, buy a cheapie R/C truck.
Tie some string onto the rear bumper, and have it long enough so that you won't shoot the the truck.
The target can be an empty aluminum can, or anything that is light enough for the R/C truck to be able to tow at a somewhat decent speed behind it. Of course, level ground is the best, but if the towed aluminum can bounces up, it's a lot tougher to shoot at. When the target is hit, you drive the truck back to you. I use this with .22 handguns, but I guess that it could be used for other firearms.

Over-ripe watermelons, oranges, pumpkins, tomatoes, and other fruits/veggies are fairly good "reactive" targets. Out-of-date eggs are great for long distance accuracy targets.

If you shoot at steel or aluminum targets, CLEAN it up afterwards! Glass is a definite NO-NO! Paper and wood targets are okay, but it's best to either pick up afterwards or to burn them. Just keep YOUR remote shooting area CLEAN, for if you leave your trash out there, other shooters might think that it's "okay" to make it a trash dump!

Page generated in 0.03571 seconds with 8 queries