View Single Post
Old August 26, 2013, 03:35 PM   #1
ZVP

.38 special popularity

Todays trend towards "carry" guns has brought both the .380 and .38 Special into a new spotlight!
The .30 has it's following mainly becuse of the trim, slender semi-autos that shoot it but it falls behind in basic bullet weight.
Generally speaking the .38 Special launches a basic 158 gr RNlead bullet with 148 gr full wadcutters and some 30-ish weight FMJloads. This places it way ahead of the 380, .38 S&W and .38 Long Colt.
Most lightweight frame revolvers today are even +P rated! A huge advance.
The basic .38 Special loading fired from either a Snubbie or a 4" makes for an ideal self defense gun. The small dimensions of the "J" Frame S&W's make them ideal carry guns and a "K" or "L" framed revolver makes a dandy service revolver or HD, and trailmate. The meduim framed guns of many makes have hung on Police and Security belts for decades!
Why? Because the .38 Special simply works! It has proven it's worth inshootouts and given yeomans service with it's fight stopping capibilities.
For years I desired a Model 36 and somehow the money always got spent on something else and I ended up carrying a lesser caliber for self/Home Defense A deal came up about a year ago and the stars were in the right orbits and I bought it! I haven't looked back since and now have 4 guns in the caliber!
Reloading-wise the cartrige is economical as it uses the Small Pistol Primers and case volume needed is nearly minimal to maintain basic SAMMI Standards. Bullet-wise the reloader has a good variety of designs to choose from and the basic LRN and LSWC are accurate and lethal. Jacketed RN and JHP's in different weights allow the handloader to taylor custom ammo of his choice.
Factory .38 Special loads are quite varied and those owners of adjustable sight revolvers have a lot to play with.
All my .38 SSpecials are Fixed Sight guns and I have found favor with the Remington LRN 158 gr load and with handloads, a 158gr LSWC does the trick.
For a cartige dating back to the beginning of the last century, I cannot find fault with the .38 Special, and with the literal flood of renewed and new models from different manufacturers, it appears I am not alone!
ZVP
ZVP

Page generated in 0.03229 seconds with 8 queries