View Single Post
Old October 6, 2009, 07:19 PM   #4
gak

Commander 1911, more specifically Ed Brown Kobra or Executive Carry--in stainless koted version--in a .40 or double stack 9 if they made it (to add capacity to a great gun, if anything). Failing that, in terms what's readily available off the shelf, same gun in its main caliber--.45. You don't mention 10mm, but that'd be under consideration--perhaps in the EB's cheaper cousin, the DW Commander Bobtail (CBOB).

Close 2nd: virtually same gun (EB Special Forces) in full sized 5", and ordered with bobtail like the other two "just because" and the 5" would better meet your range criteria.

Close 2nd #2, Hi Power .40, especially if your criteria allow it to be worked over by someone like Ted Yost,...If not, still nice out of the box...but I feel bad for not spending more of your money!

Third/honorable mention--just about any mostly metal Sig .40.

Browning (US/Utah) made the perfect pistol 15 years ago with its all-but-forgotten BDM (SA/DA), but screwed up in marketing (as in none) and technical implementation (for one thing, reverse logic safety, I.e. not like 1911, 1935 HP predecessors and just about everyone else). But it was everthing a "perfect" pistol should be (at least as non CCW guns go)--all metal, though forget if alloy (it did not seem overly heavy), hi cap for its time (15)...and still "fine for a nine," especially considering that--the above safety notwithstanding--it had the sweetest ergonomics and, related, slimmest grips/gripframe ever (someone has mentioned one of the new Rugers and one other current as competing for this prize)--especially for a double stck, but regardless..and bested its predecessor Hi Power in this regard (one of the all-time champs itself in that area). So, I say "fix" that BDM, offer it in 40/.357 Sig to broaden its overall appeal and there you'll have it. Again, doesn't spend all that extra money, bit IMO it had the makings of being one of the best. Make it or the HP out of the fabled "unobtanium" perhaps? (Sorry for the long unbroken post, edit wouldn't let me paragraph)

Last edited by gak; October 6, 2009 at 07:42 PM.

Page generated in 0.03624 seconds with 8 queries