View Single Post
Old February 11, 2009, 12:41 AM   #94
Gaxicus

Firearms are not tasers

Quote:
So if one teaches
Quote:
They need to be capable of killing because if they are using a firearm to defend themselves and they use it effectively, the predator will likely be dead.

they really don't know the reality of defensive gun use.
In a study of police shootings in Sand Diego, From 1996 through 2006, the SDCDA investigated 200 OIS cases with 201 suspects. Total cases per year ranged from a low of 10 in 1996 to a high of 24 each in 1997 and 2002. The percentage of fatal shootings ranged from 42% (2002) to 79% (2005) of the total shootings. In 61% of the cases, only 1 officer shot a suspect. There were 2 officers in 44 cases and 3 in 20 cases. Of the remaining, 6 cases had 4 officers firing, 3 had 5 and 1 case each had 6, 7, 9, 10 and 12 officers.

Ive spent some time shooting with police officers, on average, they arent super marksmen by any stretch but they are probably a bit better than the average joe.

If you can hit your attacker in a shooting 15% of the time and fire 3-4 times per target with formal training, you can match the generally accepted shooting proficiency of the police. Interestingly, the revolver hit percentage was 25% in an older study.

If you want to use stats, studies, etc, fine. But before you go crazy quoting them and quibbling over a few points, deal with this one.

Depending on the statistics you want to use, 91-99% of the time a gun is used defensively, it is never fired. Statistically speaking, maybe we dont need training, to be able to pull the trigger, or even bullets.

I dont think Im going to rely on those statistics to defend my life or family. I dont think anyone should. My point is let the numbers fall where they may, make your own choices and do your part to protect yourself.

Whatever an "expert", statistics, or surveys might say, firearms are considered a lethal weapon in every state of the union. Use of a gun in a defensive situation is considered using a lethal weapon.

Suggesting otherwise is not only incorrect but irresponsible.

Page generated in 0.01977 seconds with 8 queries