View Single Post
Old December 29, 2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Wyosmith

I am in the process of making a dedicated "iron sight rifle" that I think will be fun

I am taking an A3 flat top upper and installing a 27" long 1-8 twist match barrel on it. I will set it up like a standard 20” rifle, with the rifle length gas system, but I will drill the gas port about .010" smaller than standard to allow for the longer gas dwell of the extra 7 inches. I will use a low profile gas manifold and cover the whole works up with a free float tube.

Next I am machining my own extra long free float tube. This is just on a whim. The standard length FF tube would work fine, but I think I want to do this like a super long "dissipator" and bring the tube within 1/8" of the front sight.

The GI front sight tower will be just that, a sight tower. The gas block is going to be back on the barrel where it’s unseen.

I will set the front sight for windage so that it is zeroed when the rear sight is in it’s center of the windage range. That will give full adjustment both right and left. When I get it set perfectly for windage and have a zero for elevation at 300 Meters I will cut off the top of the tower and weld on a block of steel to install a Lyman 17A Globe front sight to center at the same height over the barrel as the old GI pin was.

The will give me a long rifle with about a 30 inch sight radius and excellent adjustment range out to about 600 meters using the detachable carry handle with match sight in it.

I will also be able to easily scope the rifle for load work-ups, and when I get the load to shoot as I want it to, I will remove the scope and riser and place the carry handle and rear sight back on top. I think this is going to be a really nice iron sight AR. I am not setting it up for any specific competition, but I do think the rifle will be the cat’s meow when it’s done.

Page generated in 0.02757 seconds with 8 queries