View Single Post
Old November 29, 2013, 11:27 AM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Dummy ammo runs the gamut from rounds put together just like live ammo, but with inert components (or no powder & primer) to solid metal machined to spec live ammo dimensions.

Quote:
I've handloaded my own 9mm dummy rounds but they've never held up. In my experience the bullet falls out of the case with extensive use.
I don't know where you draw the line at "extensive use", but if constructed properly for extensive use, you shouldn't have that problem. And by properly, I mean taking steps not usually done when making live ammo. Things like canneluring the case beneath the bullet, and sealing the bullet in the case with an adhesive should get you well into the thousands of cycles before it becomes unserviceable.

Setback is something being discussed a lot these days, it seems to be more common than it used to be. Why is open for discussion, but I know for a fact that it does not have to happen. I know of a case where a fellow used the same magazine of ammo for his "defense" gun for over 20 years! The rounds had been cycled through the action so much that the nickel cases had multiple brass stripes down the length of the case bodies. The bullets NEVER moved. (yes, it was checked and measured). That fellow did finally decide to shoot them up, and surprise, surprise, they fed and fired flawlessly.

Setback doesn't have to happen. The fact that it does, and apparently so often, just means that the ammo was not made as well as it could have been made.

Page generated in 0.03134 seconds with 8 queries