View Single Post
Old October 5, 2010, 08:31 PM   #88
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by peetzakilla
The responding officers must be able to trust the information being reported from the dispatcher. Second guessing these things can get the officers killed. The information presented to them may have been inaccurate, although that's still one assumption among many, but they have to believe it. It appears to me that the officers acted reasonably, based on what they "knew" from the dispatcher.
While I agree that responding officers should be able to trust the information conveyed by the dispatcher ... that cuts both ways. The officers SHOULD be able to trust the information they receive from the dispatchers. Which means that dispatchers should not lie, should not exaggerate, should not omit possibly important information, and ... perhaps most importantly, should take enough time with the original caller to verify whether or not a crime is actually being committed.

I do not accept that Erik Scott "got himself killed." Having read every piece of information I could find on this incident, I am of the opinion that the knucklehead who called 9-1-1 ultimately bears responsibility for getting Scott killed, and at the very least he/she should be prosecuted for making a false report.If the dispatcher juiced it up still more -- try 'em both. It wasn't a video game ... that was a real, live human being whose life they terminated by their actions.

Page generated in 0.02323 seconds with 8 queries