View Single Post
Old October 23, 2008, 03:41 AM   #11
DARIVS ARCHITECTVS

I have a SIG 556 (I realize it's not full auto - got other machineguns for that), and tend toward the SIG 5XX series of weapons after owning a couple AR weapons (AR-15, AR-10). I like 30 caliber rounds over 5.56mm for better punch, despite the weight increase. But, the SIG 556 has the accuracy close to the AR weapons but the bolt design of an AK-47 for reliability. The recoil spring is up front, allowing for a folding stock for portability. Plop a nice military grade 4 power scope on top and you have an EXCELLENT shooting, reliable carbine. No gun does everything, but of you are looking for a close to medium range carbine, the SIG has a great set of features. I don't care to hang all kinds of acccessories onto the front and and make an accessorized barbie toy out of a carbine like AR owners tend to do. That adds way too much weight. AK based carbines are more reliable, because of looser tolerances, but the iron sight radius on all AK's is too short for the langer ranges a carbine is capable of. Plus, they are heavier than a carbine needs to be. If you haven't seen SIG 556, go to a sporting goods store like Cabellas and take one apart and look at the guts. You will be suitably impressed. I was, enough to buy one. They are not cheap, but the price is competetive to other options. You should compare the SIG 556 to the Robinson XCR and the Bushmaster ACR (when it becomes available) if you want to consider guns that are similar in design, size, and mission when selecting a new purchase.

Page generated in 0.03456 seconds with 8 queries