View Single Post
Old March 28, 2013, 08:10 AM   #21
Mike Irwin
Staff

It was the Army's first foray into the New Service revolver. The second, of course, would come in the form of the M1917 revolver.

I'm still trying to find myself a good New Service. I could have my pick of ones in .455 Eley, but I don't really want to set up to reload that cartridge.

If I had a small lathe I'd consider it, because then I could thin the rims on .45 Auto Rim brass to proper Eley dimensions.

And additional aside is that many people may not realize that the Army's problems with the .38 Long Colt in the Philippines led to one of the most popular, and most successful, revolver cartridges of all time -- the .38 Smith & Wesson Special.

S&W wanted to try to get some of the Army's business, and knew that they had a good gun in the newly developed the M&P Hand Ejector, but they also knew that the military was quickly souring on the .38 Long Colt.

So, they lengthened the case so that it would take 21.5 grains of black powder (vs the LC's 18 grains) and increased the bullet weight from 150 to 158 grains.

The bid to attract the Army's attention was pretty much a failure, but given how huge of a success the M&P and .38 Special were in the civilian market, I'm not so sure that they really noticed.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.

Page generated in 0.06252 seconds with 8 queries