View Single Post
Old March 25, 1999, 06:39 PM   #17
James K
Member In Memoriam

I will go along with Walt on the lead vs. jacketed. Put another way, and all else being equal, achieving x velocity with a jacketed bullet will require more pressure than achieving x velocity with a lead bullet. The thing is, they are generally used for different purposes. Lead bullets, even hard cast, are not the preferred choice for high velocity loads. Too much lead is left in the barrel/cylinder throat/forcing cone. Best to use cast lead bullets for low velocity practice/target loads and jacketed for high velocity loads.

As for no-powder loads, I have tested these in both a .38 Special and a .357 with 125gr. jacketed bullets, lead semi wadcutters, magnum primers, standard primers, etc. The bullets all exited the cylinder; all but one prevented it from turning. That one, a semi wadcutter with magnum primer, went far enough into the bore to have allowed another round to be fired. My limited test was not, of course, comprehensive, and I can't say bullets wil never stay in the case. Still, any squib load should be cause to stop shooting, even if the gun does not hang up. We all know that no-powder loads are a no-no.

Page generated in 0.02334 seconds with 8 queries