View Single Post
Old August 20, 2005, 05:41 PM   #48
CarbineCaleb

Hmmm... well, not being a rancher, this is getting around the edges of what I know... but I think with the dogs, you have your hyperactive, hypersmart little guys (like Border Collies) whose job it is to keep the animals more or less organized, and also to move them onto fresh pasture or into an enclosure. Then you have your laid back, big brutes, like the Pyranees, that I think just lie about among the animals, and keep a sharp eye for trouble, providing security if needed. Like you're saying, I don't think they really patrol and keep the land predator free, so much as go where the animals go and keep them safe.

At least from what I read about German Shepherds (used to have one), they have the energy, endurance and intellect to do the herding, but also the strength and courage to do the guarding. I haven't really heard about German Shepherds being used for this kind of work in modern times though - more like city jobs - security guard, bomb/drug sniffer, seeing eye dog. Maybe in Germany someone would still breed and train them for livestock duties?

Page generated in 0.02297 seconds with 8 queries