View Single Post
Old August 5, 2001, 05:23 PM   #1
HarryB

First time at Trap and Beretta 390 Report

It was pushing 100 and muggy outside, but I was still anxious to try out my bargain Wal Mart Beretta. I drove out to Red Mountain Trap and Skeet with a couple of boxes of Winchester AA. I hadn't shot trap before except for a couple of rounds back in high school with my H&R Topper. I did shoot occasionally from a hand trap, but hadn't busted a bird since early 2000.

I took a quick look around of the facilities (nice!) and decided that trap would be the best introduction rather than skeet or 5 station clays. It wasn't too crowded, and I shot with just one other gentleman. They recommended I use my modified tube. I shot 15 and was pretty disappointed.

I decided to try another round and concentrated more on my stance. This time I shot 23. The two I missed were straight away shots and I rushed them. I felt better now.

Odd, I don't recall too much swinging or watching the front bead. I just wached the bird leave the house, pivoted, and fired. I don't know how much luck was involved. Next time I may take a lesson to get some feedback, or just ask one of the regulars to watch if he doesn't mind.

As to the Beretta, the 50 shots I fired were the first through the gun. I had no malfunctions of anykind. I didn't pattern before hand. I wanted to, but only brought 50 shells. Most of my breaks were clean, only a couple of dinks, so I assume my pattern and stock fit are okay. The Beretta didn't come with a pad, I shot it with just the rubber butt plate. Recoil was still quite mild. I was given a name who is highly recommended locally to fit the pad and check the stock fit.

Several of the other shooters were interested in the shells I was using. Winchester AA, 2 3/4, #8 shot, 1 1/8 ounces, 1300fps. They thought that velocity figure was rather hot. The shells were also unusual, the hulls seemed slicker and thicker, and were dark gray.

I had a blast, and can't wait to get back. Would be a heck of a field trip for my junior high class! Hmmm...

Page generated in 0.03055 seconds with 8 queries