View Single Post
Old April 27, 2009, 02:06 AM   #19
BikerRN

Quote:
I mean no offence

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The question I have is has anyone who responded to this thread ever pointed a weapon at another human being and pulled the trigger? I am at odds with myself if I could do this? If not should I get rid of my guns and just be a victim ?
I have been in three armed encounters where I was in the act of pulling the trigger when something stayed my hand I did not have to fire my weapon.

I made a decision long before I carried a gun that I would allow no other human being to harm me if I could avoid it, or prevent it. In each of my armed encounters I was ready, but the aggessive action ceased in time to possible save a life, not my own.

If you do not know if you could do this, then put the gun away, sell it and buy some Pepper Spray and a whistle. What I suggest you do is think long and hard about what it means to take a life. Massad Ayoob has a saying that I think is appropriate; "There are no winners in a gunfight, only survivors." I will use a gun because the alternative is worse.

The alternative is death to me. I am too selfish to give you my life, as I like mine just fine. I'm not a big hunter, but I do go hunting on occaision. I do it so that I may know, even though an animal's life is nowhere near as precious as a human life, what it means to take a living breathing living thing and be responsible for it's death.

Firearms are a tool of last resort. The reason I carry one is because I have seen evil and I'm around true evil almost every working day of my life. I know what they are capable of, and quite frankly it scares me. Also, as I said before, I'm selfish. I will use what tools I have to preserve my life, or the life of a loved one or a third party.

Guns are not a talisman that keeps harm at bay. Because I carry a gun I go to fewer places than I would if I didn't carry a gun. I do this to avoid trouble. In short, I carry a gun everywhere, but I avoid places where I know I'm going to need a gun.

Taking a life is not a question anyone can answer for you. You have to do your own soul searching for that answer, and there is no right or wrong answer. Part of my asking myself if I'm able is the hunting I do, or the slaughtering of a beef or pig that I've raised and fed and then slaughter to put food on the table.

It's not the same, but it does provide some insight and can be used as an opportunity for some deep soul searching if you are honest with yourself.

Biker

Page generated in 0.03450 seconds with 8 queries