View Single Post
Old January 26, 2013, 11:08 AM   #9
BigTex308

Thanks for all the replies.

Quote:
"Here's the thing: Dillons are super duper for what they are made for....to make IPSC and IDPA shooters very happy.....set up the competition caliber and load like hell. But you can change calibers on a Pro 2000, including primer size, in the time it takes a Dillon 650 owner to change primer size. Changing primer size on my press takes 8 seconds without practice. I often load two calibers in one evening session, and sometimes three.
That's kind of what I'm seeing from looking at my 550. I Haven't mounted it yet but it looks like that's what it's geared for.

Quote:
If you like CCI primers, then buying preloaded APS strips of them is the fastest and safest way to prime period. Changing primers is simply grabbing a different box. (and maybe an 8 second primer rod change if needed) No tubes to load...ready to go already. No tubes to explode either. If you prefer other brands of primers, the loading primers into strips is about the same as pecking primers into tubes. This is RCBS's APS system."

I do use CCI primers so that is a plus.

Quote:
"The tool (die) heads for the pistol calibers I have set up are populated with dies, in ready-adjustment for that caliber....which includes powder dies, and bullet feeder dies."

That's the setup I have for my Lee right now. I have several sitting off press, so when I'm ready to change calibers I just take the tool head out, put the other in and change the powder disk. Takes no more than 5 mins, and that's running a few test rounds to make sure adjustments are still correct.

Quote:
"So you have a 550 and you assume it could be difficult to adjust? I dont really understand. If you have one you should be able to tell. They make an easy adjust knob for the powder measure thats made by an aftermarket company. My 550 does just fine on adjustments. I have 2 powder measures. one I use exclusively for all my pistol calibers, and one that I dedicated to rifle. It makes it a lot easier having a different tool head for each caliber for sure. The priming system can be a little pain, but usually with just some small adjustments and cleaning it works flawlessly for a long while til it needs it again."
I picked up my 550 2 hours before I started this thread. After my first inspection of it, it appears that it would be difficult to change loads. I may have to consider that adjustment tool. That would make it a lot easier to dial in a charge.

Quote:
"Sadly, this does not help you much unless you might consider the Lee Classic Turret (which is what I switched to when I decided I did not like fussing with my Pro-1000 presses). I am much happier now. But that is my loading style and quantity needs, not yours."

I actually switched from the classic turret to the Loadmaster. It's a good machine for what it is, just didn't suit my needs. Thanks for the reply.

Quote:
"Some people have had trouble with the priming system, I am lucky in that respect as its been trouble free for me. I just use a flux brush with a touch of powered graphite to dust the primer shuttle and pathway that it is in, as well as the primer seater plugs. Provides them with some sort of lubrication that won't contaminate primer or powders. Changing the primer seating plugs is kind of a pain st first, once you get the hang of it it gets alot simpler. I put a very light layer of anti seize compoud on the threads on the seater plugs every now and again as it seemed to help installation and removal. One thing you will want to do is put something like a round cutout from an electrical conduit box or a dime beneath the primer seater plug. The press is aluminum, the seater plug is steel (at least the part that makes contact with the press is), you will get a divit in the press that will eventually make it impossible to seat primers correctly. The piece underneath the seating plug fixes this and should ever need to be...easily replaced. Use a small touch of plumbers putty, caulk or even toothpaste to hold this piece in place.

One thing that most likely WILL happen with the priming system is if you have a powder spill, even a few specks of powder...if it gets in the pathway will give you problems. I have seen where some people will use cans of compressed air to blow out the path. I prefer to not send powder particles everywhere...I use a little egg of silly putty to collect whatever is iin there. Its grabs loose items and doesn't leave anything behind. After that I give it a quick brushing with the graphite again."
Thanks for the input!

Quote:
on the LnL if you keep the priming system clean it is fantastic, but a few grains of powder in the wrong place it is a nightmare. This whole thing has been beat to death on a half a dozen threads recently, I suggest doing a search and reading a few of them

as far as a progressive unless you need 200 + rounds per hour capability just get a Lee classic turret. If you load as many calibers as you say I doubt you will ever sit down a load 1000 of a caliber in one sitting anyway which is the only real reason to buy any progressive"

Thanks for the input! I'll have to do a search and read some past threads.

I load: .380acp, 9mm, .38/.357, .40S&W, .41mag, .44mag, .45acp, .45colt and .223

on my progressive right now. I load a bunch of rifle calibers as well but I use my rock chucker for those because I make precision loads and like to keep it simple.

I shoot IDPA so sometimes I need quite a bit in a short amount of time. I also load for a few friends that shoot with me as well and they like different loads so I have several high volume needs with different charges and calibers. I also load for a few friends that just like to go target shooting/ plinking and they all like different loads out of their guns so I have several combos per caliber.

I actually sold my classic turret to get the Loadmaster. Good little press, I just needed more volume.

Quote:
"Ike,

As Bubbacrabb said, there's a micrometer adjuster available for the Dillon measure, so you can just dial in your load setting. Not inexpensive, so if you have machine tool skills, you might want to try making your own. The aftermarket one is here.

GWS,

Thanks for an excellent rundown of pro's and cons in operating the presses."

Thanks for the link!

And X2 on that GWS!

Thanks again for all the input guys!

Ike

Last edited by BigTex308; January 26, 2013 at 03:12 PM.

Page generated in 0.02712 seconds with 8 queries