View Single Post
Old May 11, 2005, 05:40 PM   #28
seed

Quote:
I just love all the negative feelings towards cops.
Well, at the risk of stating the obvious, it is a feeling of resentment at the fact that there is a huge double-standard when it comes to accountability and entrusted responsibility in terms of firearms handling and even prowess and ability. The laws for non-cops are such that we second-class citizens are not allowed the benefit of the doubt to even have certain types of firearms with certain types of accessories and configurations locked up in our own homes. Meanwhile the privileged few, including politicians, celebrities, connected elites, and cops are exempted from such hard-core and very punitive laws. The implication is that they are more deserving, more in need, more important, and allegedly more qualified to carry and use firearms.

Obviously, it is true that cops need to have firearms on their person, but should the others categorized above have any more rights than the rest of us? NO. But they do. And in the case of cops, shouldn't they who have this huge privilege and responsibility to carry and use firearms be highly trained and proficient in both skill (hitting what they intend to hit) and in the quick thinking necessary to avoid making critical and potentially deadly mistakes and avoiding collateral damage (i.e. hitting innocent bystanders or even their fellow officers)? YES. That said, mistakes will still happen, but nothing like what happened in that video. That was absolutely ridiculous.

In the end however, what do you think will happen to these cops? My guess is that they will get at most a slap on the wrist and continue on their jobs without any additional training. Meanwhile they will continue to enjoy more access to newer and more advanced un-neutered designs of weaponry at which the second-class Californians will only be able to drool. More and more restrictive gun laws towards second-class citizens will be endorsed by police departments and passed by state legislature to further the divide. And finally, more and more such incidents will occur, most of which will be barely noticed, if at all.

One more thing. If a non-cop carrying a firearm in the state of California was involved in a justifiable shooting (i.e. self defense) which was totally clean and highly skilled, that person would be absolutely raked over the coals in comparison to what will happen to these cops. That person most certainly would face jail time and would have to lose a lot of money in the legal system (lawyers, etc).

So I hope I somewhat adequately summed up why there are some negative feelings towards cops in this incident.

Page generated in 0.02246 seconds with 8 queries