View Single Post
Old September 7, 2008, 06:59 PM   #14
shaman

the dad and uncles talked about this very thing. never let everybody get empty.(picture a little boy sittin at the feet of these august personages, hearing tales to build an empire upon, on a cold winter evening after a days deer hunt)

they were worlds apart and units apart but they all knew this. dont shoot yourself dry untill you make sure your buddy is loaded.

these men aimed and i mean aimed a rifle. they hit what they shot at and they didnt shoot without a target. "suppresive fire" was for the machine gun folks.

the dad once told me if it ever comes to it and you have to assault(he always assumed there would be a war for me to get entangled in) pick the section you hear lots and lots of rifle fire from to hit. those guys are panicked and pouring out fire without aiming.

dont hit the area where ya just hear the occasional shot. those guys are aiming.

back then, there would most likely be a BAR man or a .30 machine gun right close and they all talked about those weapons doin most of the killing.

one of the uncles went across normandy beach on the afternoon with a machinegun section. he lasted nine days untill they walked right into a multiple zipper gun ambush.

he got hit seven times in the back. his pack saved him by slowing some of em down. one hit his ammo belt, blew up and filled him with splinters from the exploding brass.

his unit pulled back, got pushed further back by artillery(the REAL killer) and had to abandon him. a round hit a tree and peppered him with splinters. he told me he was pretty sure this was it.

he was laying by the side of the road when a german patrol approached. two soldiers ran up on him and one was gonna stick him with a bayonet when a voice stopped him.

the officer with this patrol came up and talked to the uncle in better english than the uncle could speak. this officer said he was a harvard grad.

told the uncle they could not take him as they were moving too fast to be burdened with prisoner.

they bound his wounds as best they could, left him a canteen of water and went on.

he lay there all day and night untill next morning the americans advanced and found him.

the germans took his garand and ammo.

Page generated in 0.03501 seconds with 8 queries