View Single Post
Old November 3, 2013, 09:19 PM   #10
btmj

My buddy recently got a SW shield. It is now is every day gun. Recently we were shooting, and we compared his shield to my Walther PPS. The two are very similar, and after shooting both side by side, it was hard to find fault with either, or even to find much difference... I could be happy with either one, but when I went shopping a couple of years ago, the shield was not on the market. If it were, I may have bought it instead... hard to say.

In any case, we were doing some long range shooting, and at 31 yards (from his truck to the wood pile), both guns would shoot into an 8 inch circle. That is damn good for a pair of pistols which are only a hair larger than pocket pistols.

These PPS's and Shields are small guns, with a fairly sharp stiff recoil. It is a little bit challenging to shoot them well. Trigger discipline is important, as all the posts above have emphasized. It is important to focus on the fundamentals while shooting. There is a huge difference between a full size service 9mm Like a glock 17 or a Sig 226, versus a SW Shield. With a full size, you can shoot fast and accurate... with the small guns, you can shoot fast OR accurate. With the small guns, you only have 7 or 8 rounds anyway. It is best to practice getting the sights rapidly aligned on target, and then smoothly squeezing the trigger... Absorb the recoil, get the sights aligned again, and smoothly squeeze. An accurate double tap with these little guns is Jerry Miculek territory. Aim each shot, and squeeze each shot.

For me, there is a "sweet spot" on my trigger finger. I find the base of my fingernail, and the spot on the opposite side of my finger is my preferred trigger spot. I prefer the same spot whether I am shooting a pistol, a revolver, a rifle, or a shotgun.

Last edited by btmj; November 3, 2013 at 11:50 PM.

Page generated in 0.03737 seconds with 8 queries