View Single Post
Old April 23, 2013, 08:51 AM   #10
Walt Sherrill

Generally speaking, a guide rod is NOT a highly-stressed part. Converting plastic to metal is generally advocated by folks who are just uncomfortable with plastic, but not by folks who really understand what materials work best for specific applications.

Several CZ compacts have alloy frames and small plastic (somewhat flexible) guide rods. They work fine. A number of users have converted from plastic to stainless guide rods; CZ has warned against this -- noting, in a few cases, that the guide rods may be HARDER than the frame against which they rest. (An option that others have tried are using brass hinge pins from Stanley, which are close to the same size -- modified to be the proper length -- and less hard than stainless steel.) I've talked with a factory CZ gunsmith who said they have seen frame wear on the alloy-framed models at the receiver stop [the place where the base of the guide rests]. Such wear, if allowed to continue, will eventually allow the guide rod to slide around with unpredictable results. Such wear/damage is NOT covered under warranty on the alloy guns. (While steel guide rods are available for other models, CZ will not sell a steel guide rod to the owner of an alloy model if CZ knows it will be used in that model.)

It is entirely possible, because of it's different mechanism and non-tilting barrel, that this is less of an issue with a PX4 than other guns -- as the guide rod has a much different range of motion during recoil. I'm unfamiliar with the PX4, but would suggest that if you feel you MUST have a steel guide rod, keep an eye on the frame area where the rod interacts with the frame -- whether that area is steel, steel covered by plastic, or just plastic. I have seen plastic guide rods (with controlled springs) break in Glocks, and the gun continue to run as before. Unless broken pieces can jam up the gun, the springs (or springs) themselves are held in place by the dust cover, etc., so function is likely to be little changed.

Last edited by Walt Sherrill; April 23, 2013 at 09:03 AM.

Page generated in 0.02831 seconds with 8 queries