View Single Post
Old December 2, 2011, 02:13 AM   #11
HoneyBadger

Good Stuff

For starters, you're new to reloading and not sure if it's totally for you I wouldn't go for the pricey stuff yet. Actually, you never really have to anyways. If you have time to kill I suggest you get a single station press or a 3-4 station turret. Lee Precision is the way to go. They make high quality, easy to use, practical equipment and usually have bottom dollar pricing and great warrantees to boot. there are lots of great manufacturers out there but Lee presses are all I use for metallic reloading. I can't see the sense in paying more for a press that does the same thing as my inexpensive one. For shell reloading it's MEC hands-down. They have mastered the process in my book. Start of with a 600 Jr. Mk. V. For good large caliber pistol brass check local ranges and gun shop for recycled brass. If you're buying new I suggest Starline. Usually though, I am my own source of recycled brass as I buy new ammo to infeed in to the process. Look at Cabela's reloading supplies. Berry's Bullets are a good buy - also @ Cabela's. Some good powders to start with for pistol: Hodgdon 'Lil gun and HP38, Alliant's American Select, for cowboy action IMR's Trail Boss is great - awesome for .45 Long Colt. For primers go with cheap cause they are all very similar: Magtech, CCI, Winchester...I don't care if it's magnum grade or not - only time it really matters is in really cold climate conditions. By Richard Lee's Modern Reloading Second Edition. It's full of useful info for newbies and has lots of good recipes from a master reloader. Lyman's new reloading book is a must have too. A few other neccessities are a dial caliper (Ebay) no more than $25 and scales. I use a Smart Reloader brand digital scale for $35 - works great. If you are frugal and a good shopper you can get started for under $250 and you can add as you go - and you will add because it's like an addiction - there always will be something else you will want/need.

Page generated in 0.02864 seconds with 8 queries