View Single Post
Old November 19, 2005, 09:30 AM   #15
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

22-rimfire, there's a lot of stuff that forlks like Keith have said, or Cooper have said, that I just sorta go, "Uh, huh." and then ignore. I've tagged around 20 bucks with a .243, and about the same number with an '06.

When I was doing a herd reduction program on my place near Austin in the late 1960s and early 1970s, I killed probably another twenty+ deer with the .243, but they don't really count. It wasn't "hunting" in the traditional sense; get home from work, change clothes, drive out in the jeep, sit and wait and then shoot any old doe that showed up. We were way, way "over-goated". Parks & Wildlife would have had a squallin' fit, but I wanted decent-sized deer, not greyhounds with horns. My idea worked; a 30% gain in average body weight. Parks & Wildlife discovered the same thing with their research project near Kerrville some years later, but I didn't have to spend tax dollars.

White spot, cross-neck, head, high-heart: Pretty much DRT with the .243. (Or anything else, for that matter, this side of a .22 rimfire.)

, Art

Page generated in 0.02681 seconds with 8 queries