View Single Post
Old October 20, 2008, 10:31 AM   #3
Gbro

Quote:
I've used a gallon of Tinks 69 and never had a deer "follow me" to my stand or sniff at it in front of the stand
I got to tour a deer/elk farm in MN that sells sent they collect. They said Tink's was hot water stained through sheep manure. Then I did try theirs and didn't have any results that were evident to me.

I have many times in the past taken the gland(hind leg) from a mature buck and wire it to a stick and drag it along with me.
I had a dandy 10 point'er walk out and stick his nose right into my trail. It was the last day of season, and I had an itch for a wall hanger and dumped work to give the tarsal gland a try. It was snowing 3/4 in and larger snow flakes that AM, and I was trying to keep my gun protected and especially the scope clear.
When that bucks head was down I took aim only to find I couldn't see anything through the scope. I was dumbfounded(not all that unusual) but did a quick swipe of the front lens and still nothing, The buck made me and bolted, and I found it was the rear lens that was fogged. I couldn't figure what could have possibly caused this. I tried to redo this many times as I lost sleep about that missed opportunity. Every time I sat in a heavy snow that situation came back. Had to be 20 years later that I finally figured it out. It was my gloved hand, or more the wrist, as I was keeping the scope tight to my glove and it didn't make sense before as the conditions just didn't line up until it happened again on a warm snowy AM.

I did spend 4 hr. on that bucks track before I headed back to the truck with a lost feeling that just isn't there anymore. If only the adrenaline would flow like it used to. of course that would probably mean I wouldn't be able to sleep a wink the night before also
But it is those old memory's that do keep us going afield, Aye!

Page generated in 0.03337 seconds with 8 queries