View Single Post
Old October 21, 2013, 12:31 PM   #21
RickB

Quote:
Good observation. "Spinning", is one metal surface "sliding" over another albeit on curved surfaces. Friction is friction no matter it be angled, or zero angle. "Grease for sliding surfaces, oil for spinning", begs the question: Why then are wheel bearings (spinning), greased instead of oiled? Another relative question, what gun parts actually spin? Rotating for sure... curved surfaces, pins, etc., but spinning?
I use both oil and grease. Grease on my auto slides, sears, etc., because it is sticky as well as slippery...it seems to keep lubricating longer. However, on pins (rotating surfaces), or other tight, rotating surfaces, I use oil because the capillary action of the close fit between the pin and the hole(s) it fits in draws the oil into it saving me from disassembling it to apply grease.
I tend to use grease as an "assembly lube", applied to cleaned parts as the gun is assembled, so that even areas that can't be reached are sure to be lubed. Oil is then used to re-lube the areas that can be reached without stripping. Areas that can't be easily reached by me are also well shielded from firing residue and other junk, so I don't see much of a junk-attraction issue with grease.
Since grease doesn't "run off" or evaporate, my cleaned, assembled guns can be fired without further lube, whereas guns stored with only oil as lube are usually discovered to be unlubed after a surprisingly short stay in the safe.

Page generated in 0.03484 seconds with 8 queries