Thread: TFL Speed
View Single Post
Old August 28, 1999, 10:17 PM   #18
Mal H
Staff

I can't believe no one else is experiencing problems with slow load times. It took a full 20 minutes to load this very topic. I see on bladeforums that folks were having problems loading yesterday (8/27). I'm not sure if the problems are related but it took about 4 min. to load the initial screen on BF. The problem is worse during prime-time and pretty much gone after around 2:00 AM EDT.

This and bladeforums are the only sites I experience this on. I have purged history files, etc. When I am having the problem, I can get to any other site I choose within seconds from a new window. And I don't mean major sites like eBay or amazon, but small ones like the 10/22 forum, Jack Weigand's site, or Benchrest Central.

I know the problem is most likely within the pipe getting to/from the server and not the server itself. This is obvious due to the fact that it only occurs during prime-time. My question is - do the powers that be have any diagnostic tools on the server that can detect when a specific request is received and the pertinent pages/packets sent out? If so, maybe we could synchronize a time to see if the problem is occurring after the packets are sent or if the request and ack/nack are slow getting to the server. If not, I will be content to just live with it and log on to this site only during the oui hours of the morning.

Please, no insults about how to fix my system. If the problem was on my end, then all sites should be slow. I have been in this business ever since Al Gore invented the Autovon system (have installed a few of those sites) and have a few hours under my belt diagnosing general network problems. However, I'm not up to snuff on diagnosing internet packet switching and TCP/IP problems.

Page generated in 0.03749 seconds with 8 queries