View Single Post
Old January 24, 2001, 01:14 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

The longer the bullet, the faster the twist in order for it to stabilize. Most target shooters use bullets around 170 grains. Somebody can correct me, but as example, the odds are that your barrel twist is more likely one turn in nine inches, rather than one in ten.

The boat-tail bullets have a better ballistic coefficient than a flat-base. This lets them hold velocity better at longer ranges--the 500-yard and longer shots--and thus have a slightly flatter trajectory.

I've no idea why the hollow-point bullets are more accurate than an otherwise identical soft-point, but that's apparently what serious target shooters have found out. I do know that target bullets are not designed to expand on game animals, and so are not suitable for hunting.

For the type of hunting you're talking about, any 150-grain spitzer flat-base would do just fine on deer. I've mostly used Sierras, Hornadys and Remington Bronze Points. For varmint shooting, a 110-grain bullet is great. (I use the 110 Hornadys, but mostly because that's what my father used. What the heck, they work.)

Hope this helps,

Art

Page generated in 0.03062 seconds with 8 queries