View Single Post
Old April 11, 2013, 11:26 AM   #10
Gaerek

Quote:
It is proven that a vast majority of mass shootings, stabbing etc have occurred in gun free zones. How many do you know of that has happened in a non gun free zone ? IMHO concealed carry does have a deterrent effect on where the majority of these mass shootings occur.
I said there would likely be a deterrent effect.

Quote:
If someone had been armed in that situation, they might have saved the day. They might not have, either. I agree that allowing carry on campus will likely have a deterrent affect, but we cannot guarantee that allowing individuals the right to carry would have stopped the knife wielding madman.
In addition, the Gabby Giffords shooting is a notable exception to the whole, "Mass murders only occur in gun free zones." Most do, but not all. It's also noted that the Aurora shooter chose that particular theater because they had a "No Gun" policy, whereas others in the area did not.

The point I was making was that we can argue a deterrent effect. We can say that IF someone with a gun were there, they MIGHT have been able to stop the attacker. But we cannot say that just by allowing CC somewhere will mean a mass murder will not occur.

I believe they will be fewer and further between. I believe that many attempted mass murders will likely be stopped (Clackamas mall shooting was likely stopped short by a person carrying a concealed handgun, and the Pearl High School shooting likely had a lower casualty count as a result of a good person with a gun). I also believe that we need to be well informed about these incidents, and use the proper arguments. We need to stop using arguments that can be dismantled easily (such as CC on campus will stop tragedy from happening).

Quote:
Politicians probably make it a point to try have their assemblies at locations that would prohibit lawful carry to make security easier for their staff and in their mind provide for a safer environment.
As far as the Gabby Giffords shooting is concerned, I believe there was no real security there. Most people don't realize that prior to the shooting, Rep. Giffords, even as a Dem, was pro-gun. She didn't turn into the anti-gunner than she is until after the shooting. And her replacement, Ron Barber is anti-gun as well, even though he says he's not. He was actually present at the shooting and took a bullet to the face and leg. I'm guessing this incident has an affect on his outlook on guns.

Last edited by Gaerek; April 11, 2013 at 11:32 AM.

Page generated in 0.03684 seconds with 8 queries