View Single Post
Old April 13, 2001, 08:13 AM   #7
Hipower

I shoot pins fairly regularly at the club I belong to. We shoot at 7 yards with 5 pins set 1 foot back from the edge of a 4 foot table top.

Scoring is by time based on the sound of the shot. Ie if you hit the last pin and it's spinning towards the edge of the table, there is some strategy as to whether to shoot again or hope it spins off. The pins have to hit the ground, or you add 1 second for each pin left on the table. We have guys than can take the 5 pins off in under 4 seconds even having missed a pin!!!

Popular calibers are .45, 9mm, .40, .44, and the occasional .357 and .38 super.

There is a disadvantge with 9MM, but it is not as great as some folks make out. It depends if you are shooting to have fun, or shooting to win. Since my club doesn't seperate by category of gun (ie. stock Glock, etc. against a ported red dot equipped race gun), I am just shooting for fun. Most of the top guys shoot 1911 based race guns.

Most times we have about 12-15 shooters each shooting 4 strings. We replace pins as needed, but its hard to guess at a round count. Even if the pin holds together well, a lot of times they get so heavy from collected lead, we'll toss 'em. Other times a pin will get hit in the base and won't stand up, so you end up tossing it with just a few rounds in it.

Round nose bullets work fine. If you can shoot lead there is a bit of an advantage as IMHO they "stick" better that jacketed bullets. I'm not saying there is much of a difference but if you get an offcenter hit I think you're better off getting it with lead vs jacketed.

Also, I think it would be a waste of money to shoot HP's unless you just want to. I'm not sure how great they'll expand when plugged with that tough plastic and hard wood. Then if they do expand, they'll shorten the life of your pins. I don't see too many (anybody) shooting them at our matches.

HTH!

Page generated in 0.03198 seconds with 8 queries