View Single Post
Old July 15, 2009, 02:14 PM   #15
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Be an extreme snowbird.

Live in the Land of the Midnight Sun (Alaska) during the summer, where you can read a book 24 hours a day without any additional light source, and go visit near the penguins during our winter (same lighting story).

If this is not a realistic option for you, or if you live in either locale year round (or somewhere in-between), it is pretty amazing (noted earlier in thread) just how good your night vision is prior to messing it up with artificial/additional lighting. Very good suggestions above. I will add further to one mentioned, the flashlight.

A really bright flashlight (mine is 120 lumens) flicked on into someone's face for a second when it is dark will effectively "blind" them for a short period of time. Think about after having your picture taken with a flash camera when it is darker; remember seeing those flashes every time that you blink?

The downside is that once you "flash" someone you are now on a timer. (Realize that holding a flashlight that is turned on now makes you a target. And once it goes on and off, they know that you are there.) You might want to do this from cover, and/or be ready to take immediate action.

You can practice "flashing" a "target"/(would not recommend eyes possible damage) in the dark just to get used to the results. There are many different ways to handle "flashlight drills", have fun!

Also consider that any gun mounted light definitely gives someone a return fire vector. (A big "Here I am" target.) Where as a flashlight can be moved around and away from yourself.

Just some thoughts, hope that they help.

Now, go figure...

Page generated in 0.03145 seconds with 8 queries