View Single Post
Old August 2, 2002, 06:13 PM   #11
DARTH 44

I must admit I didn`t know that method of waterproofing caps,but still,if metallic cartridges were already available why not
to use them?(going with progress )
AJ could you post a pic of the Walch revolver?
I checked my gun-library but was unable to find it.
Nevertheless,my search was not vain,because I`ve found a very interesting pre-Civil War sixgun.It is MOOR Model 1860.There was a brief description stating that the Moor was available in 30 ,32 and 44 rimfire calibers.What`s so interesting about it?Well,externally the Moor looks almost the same as a 1851 Navy Colt,except the barrel is octagon not round,and there`s no rammer assembly under the barrel.
That space is occupied by very long(almost to the muzzle) cylinder axis/pin ended with a knurled head.
Now the most interesting part.You grab the knurled head,pull it a little forward,and..Presto!! The whole cylinder-barrel-pin unit swings to the left of the frame for reloading just like in modern revos.The star extractors didn`t exist at that time,so I think the Moor had ''gravity'' ejector(muzzle skyward & shake when clean,and empties plucked out with the shooter`s fingers when fouled.
Unfortunately,the book says nothing about ruggedness or reliability of the Moor revolver.(Any feedback appreciated),but IF it was any good I`d go with them. Just look,the only 44 rimfire existing in 1860 was the 44Henry Flat,so the Moor would be excellent companion to a Henry rifle.
Did some math.
I load a Henry in Sunday,and can shoot it for the rest of the week.
That means,with a Moor I`ll run out of ammo on Wednesday morning.

Regards

Page generated in 0.02651 seconds with 8 queries