View Single Post
Old June 11, 2012, 06:51 PM   #24
Crunchy Frog

Huskerguy asked: Can you tell me the difference between the two different kinds of inserts?

I'm talking now about the insert that goes into the rotor of the powder measure. The insert is the part that you adjust to throw the desired charge.

"I feel your pain" on determining what comes with the press. Based on some old information I assumed the press shipped with only the (larger) rifle rotor so I ordered the smaller pistol rotor as well, only to find that Hornady ships the press with the rifle and pistol rotors (each with a "standard" insert).

Here's my understanding. Hornady makes two types of inserts for the powder measure rotors: standard and micrometer. The latter have markings that allow you to write down the "setting" for a particular charge so that you can repeat it.

The "standard" insert has a threaded adjustment with no markings but they are cheap. For example, my pet load for .45 ACP is x.x grains of Clays powder. I have a standard insert that I set for that load, then snugged up the lock ring. I keep it in my .45 ACP die box. When I want to make up my "pet" loads, I snap that insert into the powder measure rotor and it's ready to go.

I don't have any micrometer inserts. I have a spare that I use for "non-pet" loads. I put it in the powder rotor and turn on my scale. I throw a charge and weigh it. Then I adjust the threaded rod in or out until I get the desired load. I takes only a few minutes.

Send me a PM if you want more information on the LNL-AP.

Page generated in 0.02302 seconds with 8 queries