View Single Post
Old April 1, 2013, 10:34 AM   #23
Saltydog235

Tongue in cheek. Some people (99.9% men) feel that more power equates to deficiencies in other areas. I see the merits of the .300 WM for the armed forces sniper and to an extent a western hunter who has the time, ability and room to reach out. I do not see the advantages or worth for someone whose ranges are 300yds and under, it just isn't there, thus the compensation remark. If a .243, .7mm08, .308 etc kills something stone dead at 300yds which is stretching it for 90% of the gun toters I come across, then what advantage does the .300 WM or similar give, what disadvantages?

I use to shoot a .300 Wby and thought it was going to be the 2nd coming, it wasn't. I've killed far more deer, pigs, yotes, bobcats, foxes, etc with a .243, 7mm08 and .308 than I ever did with that .300 Wby and had a lot more fun at the range as well to distances of 500yds (limits of where I could shoot). Those large magnums are inefficient cases, cost more to buy and load, punish you with recoil and aren't needed for the majority of hunters.

The great thing though is that we live in a free country (at least for now) and can choose what we want. If a man thinks a .300 Whatever Mag is going to make him a better shot, better hunter and perceived as more manly, then go for it. My opinion is that most shooters become better shots when they aren't pounded by recoil, can afford shoot more, aren't afraid of the gun and realize the gun and shooter have limits.

Page generated in 0.03781 seconds with 8 queries