View Single Post
Old May 13, 2012, 01:55 AM   #32
Pond, James Pond

Quote:
And of those immigrants, most are European who already share a values system.
I'm afraid I can't agree with that. Just because someone is from Europe, doesn't mean that everyone and anyone gets on with others like peas in a pod.

Europe, on the whole, works satisfactorily together.
However, there are dozens of countries, populations, languages, cultural and ethnic groups all stuffed into a realtively small are, with a big population for that area, as well. This does not make for a shared value system.

The stuff we do agree on is probably not so different to what many see as important in the US..

This vast array of cultural beliefs, values and attitudes makes Europe a facsinating and exciting place to life: you don't have to travel far to see something new. The flip side of course is that it can lead to cultural friction.

In that respect I think that the US is more homogeneous.
Yes, everyone (or mostly) is of immigrant stock, but they were all drawn to the US because of its way of life: people of different backgrounds actively came together becuase of the shared goals they had in common...

How all that relates to the OP is a complex one.

I still believe that this stat on firearms use is largely a reflection of the cultural upbringing of the Germans, and probably also on Police training.
Perhaps they have a different set of procedures to follow before drawing and using a weapon is deemed appropriate action.

Page generated in 0.03609 seconds with 8 queries