View Single Post
Old March 5, 2013, 06:09 PM   #66
Hitthespot

Many of us here understand the reason for your question. I've shot pistols ever since I was old enough to buy my first, many years ago. However when I received my carry permit around two years ago, I was very scared to carry a round in the chamber. I pictured all sorts of accidental things happening. I listened to what my instructors had to say (including my brother in law who is a police chief and range officer) and read the same things the very knowledgable people here and other places had to say. However in the end none of these things helped to lessen my distrust of carrying a loaded gun.

This is what it took for me. Your list may be different.

*Along with the Normal safely rules of carrying a firearm, I also made my own resolutions which I NEVER break. First and foremost was/is to never become lazy. I never lay my gun down randomly--It is always in use, in a holster or locked away. You would never find a loaded weapon of mine on the dash of a car. RULE 1. All weapons are loaded.
*My first carry gun had to be an automatic and have a manual safety.
*I carried my Ruger SR9c everyday, all day with no round in the chamber for two weeks. I checked it every night to make sure the trigger had not accidently went off.
*I carried for one week after that with no round in the chamber and the safety engaged. I checked it everyday to make sure the safety had not disengaged.
*I then carried with a round chambered and the safety on. I will admit I was very nervous for weeks after that.

Two years later and I now carry a Kahr CM9 and a Taurus TCP 380 with no manual safeties and a round in the chamber. I think for some of us it is just a progression we have to go through. Modern firearms are safe. People are not. Make the proper commitment, carry a modern gun in a modern holster made for your weapon, Never once get lazy about your commitment, or gun safety rules or your commitment to safety.

I think it's good to be just a little scared and have respect for your firearm. It's like riding a Harley, as soon as your not afraid anymore and too comfortable, disaster is just around the next corner.

Thats my 2 cents.

Page generated in 0.03483 seconds with 8 queries