Thread: Dog assault
View Single Post
Old March 29, 2008, 11:19 AM   #12
EastSideRich

Quote:
It always amazes me how many owners cannot control their dogs, especially boxers and pits.
This is kind of off topic, but I felt compelled to respond to this.
I've had boxers most of my life.
You can't possibly mean they are aggressive and you've had to break up fights involving them.
Every boxer I have ever encountered has had the exact same temperament. They are possibly hard to control due to their excitability. When they come across a new person or dog they usually jump, wiggle and slobber.
I have NEVER met an aggressive one or even heard of one biting someone.
Now that I think about, it boxers are probably one of the only breeds for which I've never seen aggressive or bullying type behavior from at the dog park or on the street - including little dogs.

Pit bulls on the other hand are scary. You don't see alot of them at our dog parks, but when you do, you can feel everyone watching them out the corner of their eyes. I don't think it's just because the media tells us they're dangerous, I think it's because they've earned themselves a nasty reputation. Obviously any med - lg dog can inflict serious damage, but if you get attacked by a pit you're in trouble! It's exactly what they have been bred for.
I've only had 4 dicey encounters with dogs that I can think of and three of the 4 were pitbulls (the other was a dalmatian).

In response to the thread topic
The main reason I carry if we go on a walk is dogs. If I'm aware of a dog that's loose, I'm ready to act. If a dog is charging, It's not getting within 10 ft without some new holes. If it keeps coming It's going to get tackled and killed with a pocket knife or with my bare hands. We've got two kids (5 and 3), and theres no way I'm going to let some dog bite one of them.

Page generated in 0.02223 seconds with 8 queries