View Single Post
Old May 17, 2012, 09:40 AM   #22
F. Guffey

Then there is the part that is always left out, the length of the chamber from the bolt face to the shoulder, datum. Never considered, when forming a long case to a short case the reloader passes up every opportunity to form cases that the chamber. It is always, screw the die down to the shell holder, and that is a bad habit that is most difficult to overcome, me? When sizing a case, for me, it is easier to form it to fit than it is to make a trip to the range to form, and remember, form then size, fire to form and we do not know how many times the case was fired before we decided to form, so it does not surprise me the case cracked, split or separated, and those cases that split or separate where they are not suppose to split, and then the rational?? One rationalized he had .005 thousandths too much head space, and, I did not have the benefit of knowing what receiver/design he was using.

Anyhow, I suggest using new cases or once fired cases, and forming is a process of work hardening, annealing should be a consideration.

F. Guffey

Page generated in 0.03306 seconds with 8 queries